Tuesday 15 January 2008

Pollock signing moves a step closer

The Mail are reporting that Shaun Pollock has indicated he would welcome a return to Edgbaston

Pollock is reported as saying: "Ashley Giles has spoken to me and asked whether I'd be interested in playing for the Bears this summer. All I can say at the moment is that, if I did play county cricket again, it would be for Warwickshire. I'm a loyal kind of person and, having already played at Edgbaston for two years, I would like to give them first option. But I have a couple of other commitments as well so I'm still weighing everything up."

Things are moving with unseemly haste on this, given that he only announced his retirement from international cricket on Friday and spent Saturday wrapping up the 3rd test and presumably celebrating with his team mates. By Sunday (or Friday in my case!) he was being linked to Warwickshire tenuously, on Monday Giles said he would be interested and today he has sounded Pollock out.

I could be wrong, but I would expect this to quieten down a little now the initial flirtations are over. Reading between the lines, Pollock is informally rebuffing any other playing offer for County Cricket, which I felt would be the biggest threat to him not playing at Edgbaston this summer. Now Pollock has given a sketchy commitment to Warwickshire I expect the scramble and urgency of the past few days to quieten off while Giles lets Pollock make up his mind whether he want to play county cricket next season.

In other, no less important news Monde Zondeki should be confirmed as a Warwickshire signing for this summer within the next 48 hours, the club are just finalising some details in the paperwork. This is not really surprising seeing as he was in the squad for the third test himself. Interestingly he is not in the squad for the upcoming one-dayers against the West Indies, indicating he is primarily in the thoughts of the SA selectors for tests. Just as a flavour for the sort of form he has been in, here is a list of the top wicket takers in SA domestic cricket this season

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a bit of an aside as we're supposed to be concentrating on THIS year's South African fast-bowling Bear, not last year's. But have a look at Steyn's strike rate in that link you posted - better than a wicket every four overs. That is amazing.

Funny how the best Test batsman and bowler of the last 3 months both honed their skills in the midst of last year's Edgbaston shambles.

Simon said...

Behind every great batsmen is a stint with the Bears

Article appears to be based solely on Sangakara and Lara, but there you go.

Anonymous said...

This great, sorry I haven't been here before, but I certainly will visit the site a lot more for all of my WCCC news.