Tuesday 2 September 2008

Sometimes I don’t know my own strength

Graeme Hick has announced his retirement from cricket with effect from the end of the season. I can’t help but feel partially responsible after my tongue-in-cheek article last week about the aging county championship. Could it have been that Hick read it and thought now was the time to hang up his bat? Probably not on reflection.

The good doctor carried on playing into his 50’s, as I recall did Wilfred Rhodes and George Hirst, two great heroes of mine. James Southerton
didn’t make his test debut until the age of 49. So there are surely plenty of good years left in Hick’s 87 year old bones.

Knowing my luck he’ll start playing in the Warwickshire league and end up dispatching my speculative leg spin over cow corner next year as I hope to make my own debut at the ripe old age of 29.

Whatever he does now though, I wish him good luck I haven’t had much cause to cheer him over the years as a Warwickshire supporter, but I’ve certainly had many occasions to appreciate him.

No comments: