Tuesday 15 April 2008

The curtain raises

Finally the months of waiting are nearing an end and the new cricket season is nearly upon us. Warwickshire open their Division 2 campaign against local rivals Worcestershire tomorrow at Edgbaston.

The squad for the game is 12; D Maddy (captain), I Westwood, M Powell, J Trott, J Troughton, N Poonia, T Frost, A Botha, L Daggett, T Groenewald, N Carter, B Rankin.

Brian Halford reports in today's mail that Jim Troughton is an injury doubt with a back twinge. He also speculates that Boyd Rankin is not a definite inclusion due to his recent return from injury and indicates that Powell will be included (by implying Poonia is cover for Troughton).

My feeling is that Warwickshire are unlikely to go in with only 3 seamers, and that the only decision will be which two out of Powell, Poonia and Troughton play at 4 and 5. I feel Poonia deserves a chance after his combative 65 in the draw against Oxford UCCE last week, and if I was selecting I would probably leave out Powell (cue his selection and a double hundred).

1 comment:

Simon said...

Shows what I know